Re: Message threading (was Job Opportunity)

Warren Vail wrote:
While Jim does have a point and is limited by the threading algorithm of
this list manager, someone can successfully argue that "this standard" has
it's drawbacks.

It is somewhat intuitive to pick up a message all pre addressed and reply to
all, especially when your intention is to send a message that will "reach
all".
It is also somewhat intuitive to think that changing the subject means
starting a new thread, however with thread id's hidden in the headers, this
doesn't work.  You CAN argue that standards that don't work are a bad thing,
or at least, not a GOOD thing.

The standard allows for a subject change mid-thread while still keeping that thread together (i.e. like this message which has a different subject but will retain its connection to the rest of the thread).

I don't, however, have a good solution, since basing threads on subject
lines has a different set of drawbacks like lots of broken or disjointed
threads that have a beginning in another thread.  These hidden ID's keep
things together but they also generate lots of off topic discussion within a
thread, like we are doing here ;-), pretty soon we should hear from those
police.

Believe me when I say this subject has been discussed at length by some of the brightest people in the world, and the current system is the best compromise they could come up with. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean you shouldn't respect it.

If I don't agree with murder being illegal does that make it right that I do it? Of course not, because people smarter than me decided that it should be. (Please note that this does not represent my opinion and is only being used as an extreme example).

-Stut

Jochem: I think I'm over it now!