Re: References challenge with PHP4

2007/3/20, Jochem Maas <jochem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Robert Cummings wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 11:52 +0100, Jochem Maas wrote:
>> ok, I tried it in a whole number of variations -
>> no joy.
>>
>> you should use php5 if you want this kind of reference
>> stuff - in php5 it just works, php 4 will give you big headaches.
>
> Now now, don't be calling PHP5 "ALL THAT" when it can't do it right
> either (or did you not check it using PHP5 ;) ;)

god knows what I did - obviously something different to what I thought
I was testing :-/

> Everything works fine
> in PHP4 (also for PHP5 in this case if you just understand that static
> vars are buggy *lol* -- and this is first time I've noticed this bug).

I have never run into this bug before ... nice catch, seems like
a viable item for a bug report.

Actually, is not a bug, is expected behaviour and documented in the manual

http://php.net/static

See the last section, named "references with global and static variables"

static and global are implemented internally as references, that makes
storing references into static variables impossible (which can be solved by
using arrays of references as seen in Robert Cummings example).