Re: Re: Getting last record ID created from DB

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:37 -0400, Mark wrote:
> Richard Lynch wrote:
>
> > On Tue, March 20, 2007 8:00 pm, Mark wrote:
> >
> > I'd agree with you, except now you've pulled the rug out and inserted
> > a 3rd party connection pool.
>
> That's not "pulling the rug out," that is a legitimate possibility.
>

> > Well, duh, if you're dumb enough to think you can just slap it in and
> > everything will work by magic, you deserve what you get.
>
> That is my point.
>

> > One would hope the connection pooling docs have at least SOME warning
> > that they BREAK certain crucial functionality.
>

> My point in this discussion is that there are ways that work better and more
> widely across multiple platform than depending on specific features of
> specific systems.

There's always a tradeoff. As the master of my project I get to choose
whether I want runtime speed, development simplicity, platform
compatibility, etc, etc. All these things are never compatible at the
exact same time.

> One can write completely generic SQL that works correctly *regardless* of
> connection pooling, transactional support, etc. The problem is that by not
> thinking about the problem in the general case, you limit the applicability
> of the project for no good reason.

One *can* write completely generic SQL that works correctly... as you
said... but then one can also write completely non generic SQL that runs
faster and serves up more pages for your audience on a tighter budget.
Developers quite often have a good reason for their choices-- whether
you agree with it or not.

Cheers,
Rob.