Re: Re: Getting last record ID created from DB

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 23:58 -0400, markw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm not a web developer. I suck at PHP, I do know PHP, I've written a
> number of PHP extensions, and have had my CVS account for about 8 years,
> but I'm not a web developer. I'm an architect and it is problematic when
> applications developers make assumptions about things that can change.

Application developers must make the assumption that the documentation
they are reading is correct.

> <soap_box>
> Open source is about more than simply getting the supposed job done, it is
> about getting it done right too. It is about using best methods. And yes,
> it is about ego and pride about doing it better.

Open source is about whatever the developer wants it to be about
provided their source is open. If that happens to coincide with your
vision fine, if not then it is still open source according to their
vision.

> In every profession there are many things that work within a limited range
> of use, but break down quickly when the situations change subtly. A
> professional knows their "craft" well enough to anticipate these things.

That depends on what aspect of the definition of profession you choose
to focus upon. I think that most professionals are such by virtue of
doing what they do by way of a profession, not necessarily by way of
being an expert.

> The authors of too many open source / GPL PHP projects take the easy way
> out and ignore the larger architectural issues that would make their
> projects more widely usable. How long did it take bugzilla to support
> PostgreSQL? How any PHP projects on sourceforge are tied to MySQL instead
> of being flexible?

This depends on the focus of the developer/development team. Supporting
multiple databases is a choice, that they can make at the expense of
other features. There's a 1 to 1 time trade here. They can choose to
support postgres as you say, or they can choose to add some other
feature that their thousands of MySQL fans want. The very nature of open
source allows Joe Coder to add Postgres support himself if it is that
important to him. if he doesn't have the skill, then it's time for him
to learn or suck it in and quit whining.

> Developers, either proprietary or OS/GPL, seek to create software of
> lasting value. If you choose to limit your software design, then you limit
> its value.

Value is such a subjective concept. What you suggest is that open source
developers should have to support every database platform out there so
that their user base can have lasting value in the event that they
should choose to suddenly switch to some other db platform than the one
the project creator originally cared about. It all comes down to one
man's trash being another man's treasure. If a bugzilla user never
wanted to switch to postgres then they've had lasting value regardless
of the missing feature.

Cheers,
Rob.