Re: PHP5 & Commercial Development

Robert Cummings skrev:
On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 23:45 +0100, Keryx Web wrote:
Could you point out to me where exactly the discussion became about PHP4
versus PHP5? I seem to be smelling the red herring technique of changing
the conversation focus so as to inappropriately lend credence to the
initial argument because the secondary red herring argument can be
argued more in your favour despite its irrelevance.

The thread was started by Eric Gorr who wrote:

Since I am unaware of what version of PHP Yahoo mainly uses (I've heard some of their developers talk, and they use PHP 5) and since Google seems to be a Java shop, I took the liberty of giving my oiwn view of why PHP should be used for professional development.

And I said that for reasons of security and performance prepared statements usually are the best way of interacting with a DBMS. To me they are the main reason why I shun PHP 4 when developing new apps.

Other things I personally like about PHP 5:
- The OO model.
- Tidy 2.0
- All things XML (Simple, DOM, Reader, now also Writer, etc)
- Assign by reference in foreach loops

Can a professional app be developed without these? Probably, but why limit your arsenal?

Lars Gunther