Re: PHP5 & Commercial Development

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 09:47 +0100, Lars Gunther wrote:
> Robert Cummings skrev:
> > On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 23:45 +0100, Keryx Web wrote:
> > Could you point out to me where exactly the discussion became about PHP4
> > versus PHP5? I seem to be smelling the red herring technique of changing
> > the conversation focus so as to inappropriately lend credence to the
> > initial argument because the secondary red herring argument can be
> > argued more in your favour despite its irrelevance.
>
> The thread was started by Eric Gorr who wrote:

> PHP5 was first released is wasn't recommended in a commercial/production
> environment. However, a lot of time has passed and we're at v5.2
> now...have things changed? Have Google&Yahoo, for example, moved to
> PHP5? Or is PHP4 still the recommendation for such environments?

Ah, quite true, though our particular branch wasn't about this :)

> Since I am unaware of what version of PHP Yahoo mainly uses (I've heard
> some of their developers talk, and they use PHP 5) and since Google
> seems to be a Java shop, I took the liberty of giving my oiwn view of
> why PHP should be used for professional development.
>
> And I said that for reasons of security and performance prepared
> statements usually are the best way of interacting with a DBMS. To me
> they are the main reason why I shun PHP 4 when developing new apps.
>
> Other things I personally like about PHP 5:
> - The OO model.
> - Tidy 2.0
> - All things XML (Simple, DOM, Reader, now also Writer, etc)
> - Assign by reference in foreach loops
>
> Can a professional app be developed without these? Probably, but why
> limit your arsenal?

You make a decent point, but then, due to the Turing complete nature of
languages anything PHP5 can do PHP4 can also do. And since PHP5 has a
smaller adoption arena and PHP5 can with run PHP4 apps (with some
attention to detail), why limit your audience?

As you can see, there are pros and cons to either decision and much
depends on your focus.

Cheers,
Rob.