Re: PHP5 & Commercial Development

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 22:00 +0100, Keryx Web wrote:
> Eric Gorr skrev:
> > I haven't tracked this particular issue, but I know when PHP5 was first
> > released is wasn't recommended in a commercial/production environment.
> > However, a lot of time has passed and we're at v5.2 now...have things
> > changed? Have Google&Yahoo, for example, moved to PHP5? Or is PHP4 still
> > the recommendation for such environments?
>
> My two cents: Any modern PHP-app should use prepared statements for
> efficiency and security. PEAR-DB and some other PHP 4 workable
> abstraction layers can emulate this, but it's only in PHP 5 you get the
> real thing, with mysqli or PDO, or a PHP class that's built on top of
> such an interface.
>
> To me, that's the must have feature of PHP 5 I can't be without. Nor do
> I think one could call him-/herself professional still doing old school
> mysql-interface calls to the DBMS.

I sincerely question the competence of someone who advocates a one size
fits all approach to programming. There are many reasons why a developer
may work with the old-school interface calls. For instance they may be
supporting an old school application. They might be writing their own
abstract layer. They might be optimizing an extremely loaded system
whereby explicitly using the API calls improves speed. Prepared
statements only improve speed when making multiple queries to the
database having the same format. They slow things down when making
unique queries. Any developer worth his salt doesn't need prepared
statements to improve security, and assuming prepared statements will
protect you is silly since they cannot protect against everything. A
professional knows when to use any given approach given the environment
and requirements.

Cheers,
Rob.