Re: PHP milter SAPI: problem with smfi_getsymval

Atpic wrote:
> Hi Jochem,
>
> Well, the best known spam filtering solution is PERL based
> (mimedefang/spamassassin).

spamassassin at least I (a little) familiar with (I usually leave the intricacies
to someone with much more knowledge about this kind of stuff - what are sys admins for? :-)

> In theory, you could do this using the PHP milter SAPI: the SAPI provides

the 'PHP milter SAPI' bit confuses me - like where to start with regard to
installing it properly - I'm not in need of answer regarding this ...

first off I'm going to do a whole bunch of reading (including the link you
pointed me at - thanks for that!)

a couple of question that I do have are (hope you don't mind the intrusion):

1. based on your description I come to the conclusion
that the milter SAPI could be used to intercept incoming (reply) emails that
related to automated information request email from a website (the idea being to
track the complete thread of conversation related to a sales lead that was initiated
by a person visiting a website - I would like to do this because, for one of my clients,
there are a lot of users that make a pigs ear of managing their leads/clients/etc - and
initial contact always via a website and related to data stored in the websites DB),
I could do something like this with the milter SAPI?

2. would I have to use sendmail as my MTA? or is it possible to use the milter SAPI
in the 'toolchain' of any sendmail compatible MTA? (my hoster/sysadmin/magic-geek runs
Gentoo installation with courier as the MTA, I believe courier is sendmail compatible,
then again my believe may be completely unfounded/misguided)

> you with a way to catch the STMP commands sent by  mail server to you mail
> server and tell your mail server want to tell to the sending server.
> For instance if you see the connection coming from a spammer IP, then you
> could temp fail the mail.
> In other words, there are huge spam related libraries in PERL with no
> equivalent in PHP but the PHP SAPI allows you to develop such libraries.
> The sendmail milter API is document here:
> http://www.sendmail.org/doc/sendmail-current/libmilter/docs/

thanks again for your feedback.

kind regards,
Jochem