Re: mssql_* overhead

Philip Thompson wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Does anyone know if the mssql_connect/_init/_bind/etc require a lot of
> overhead?
>
> I have a page that requires multiple function calls and each of those
> opens a new connection to the database, performs the necessary actions
> in stored procedure(s), and then closes the connection. However, I found
> this to be slower than I was wanting. So I thought, just create one
> connection and assign it to the SESSION (a global), and in each function
> that requires a connection, call that SESSION variable. At the end of
> the page, close the connection and nullify the variable.

I wouldn't stick it in the SESSION superglobal (my tactic is usually to create
a little wrapper class to the relevant DB functions and store the connection
as a property of the class/object.

basically opening & closing the connection once per request is the way to
go - if your going to using a global, better [than $_SESSION] to stick it
in $GLOBALS imho.

$_SESSION is used for persisting data over multiple requests - something that
is not possible to do for 'resource identifiers' (which is what the connection [id] is).