Re: Re: No forums?

On Mon, November 7, 2005 6:34 am, Finner, Doug wrote:
> Wow, go away for a few days and holy war breaks out...cool!
>
> Why not one system that supports both without extra work?  The model
> I'm
> thinking of is Google or Yahoo groups(*).  You can access any 'forum'
> via a web browser, search, post, reply, etc AND/OR you can subscribe
> any forum and get messages sent to you via email (individual or digest
> format).
>
> At work, I sit behind a firewall and web access involves a multi-stop
> PITA process so listerservers work well for me there.  At home, forum
> access is easier since I can go to the forum site, decide what I want
> read and/or respond to without cluttering up my email client.
>
> Doug
>
> (*) - I am NOT suggesting this forum be configured like Yahoo, the
> search function absolutely sucks and I'm not a real fan of the layout,
> but the concept of a forum that's a list that's a forum...is what I
> like.  For what it's worth, Yahoo has not PHP groups I can find but
> there are 33 over at Google with 100 - 1000 members.

YahooGroups hosts at least 2 (regional) PHP mailing lists that I know of.

Both happen to be Chicago-based. (as am I)

One gets virtually no traffic.

The other has migrated to SourceForge for all intents and purposes,
but the YahooGroups list remains as a doorway out of darkness for
those who stumble into it.

So not only does searching for a message within a YahooGroup suck (and
it really really really sucks) but apparently searching for a Group
also sucks. :-)

PS
I really don't understand how a filter and a separate folder can
"clutter" up an email client... Surely your email client HAS
filters/folders...

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm