Re: Obsession with BC

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 01:56 pm, GamblerZG wrote:
> > On the final hand, if you pass the pages off from apache to a php
> > exe or module.. How does Apache know which one to pass it to? Php4 or
> > Php5?
>
> By the processing instruction target. That's what it's there for. I
> guess php 5 and 4 are not the best examples, since php5 already uses
> '<?php' PITarget. Let's say '<?php6' means PHP6, and '<?php' means 4/5.
>
> > If I have both php4 and php5 code in a page should i run both
> > sections or only the sections listed for php5(if it's on php5)?
>
> You shouldn't run any sections, and give an error. The whole point is to
> separate different versions of the language instead of mixing them. Do
> you know a lot of scripts which use features specific to both php4 and
> php5? I don't. And it's an awful practice anyway.

I personally know that my code will break if ran on php4.
This is not because I have bad practices. it's because I choose to use the
better functions of php5 verse the older and not so good functions of php4.
specifically I am talking about the XSL and DOM functions.
I also know that I had to update my php4 scripts because they removed the
older functions in php5. this again is not bad practice it was using the
available functions in php4 and the devs removing them in 5.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.xslt.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.xsl.php

right there you have examples of how 4 scripts break in 5 and 5 breaks in 4.
anyone who uses/used these functions is stuck in 1 version or the other.