Re: PHP 5 Hosting

Torgny Bjers schrieb:
> I am assuming they're running PHP through CGI in this case, am I
> correct, or are they hosting on Windows to achieve the multiple PHP
> versions? If CGI, that rather affects performance of larger
> applications, it especially impact render time of more complex templates
> and forms. During my own testing we gained lots of time by just running
> it as a compiled Apache module instead of through CGI and in .htaccess.

Well, I guess you are right. One can compile multiple versions of PHP to
run as Apache module in parallel by changing the sources (one has to
change some symbol names) but I think Strato didn't do that since most
shared hosting services run PHP as CGI anway for security reasons.

Also, I think writing applications with high performance requirements
somewhat contradicts deploying them on shared hosts. If you need
performance: Get a dedicated server and - if you want - even compile yer
own hand-optimized PHP.

And: Clever development circumvents the CGI bottleneck. Developing is
absolutely no problem under CGI since it's done by just a few users and
here the flexibility of multiple version kicks in: You can freely
choose! For the production version you simply use a good userland cache
that minimizes the work done by PHP.

AllOLLi
  Bree: "Do you know, I’ve finally convinced Rex to buy his first orchid."
George: "Make sure you study up. I hate people who own precious flowers
         and don’t know how to take proper care of them."
   Rex: "You know what I hate? Weeds. They just pop up out of nowhere
         and you have to work so hard to get rid of them."
George: "I find that with the right chemicals you can get rid of anything."
[DH 120, earns the price for most subtext per sentence.]