Re: PHP 5 Hosting

Oliver Grätz wrote:

>Sheesh! No week passing by without people complaining about hosters
>missiong out on PHP5. This is one point where we in Germany seem to be
>lucky. The two biggest german hosters 1&1 (about 4 million domains) and
>Strato (about 2.5 million domains) both offer SSH and the possibility to
>chosse the PHP version on a per directory basis (via .htaccess). Strato
>offers PHP 3.x, 4.0.x, 4.3.x and 5.0.x in parallel. Perhaps you should
>think about "outsourcing" your hosting *g*.

I am assuming they're running PHP through CGI in this case, am I
correct, or are they hosting on Windows to achieve the multiple PHP
versions? If CGI, that rather affects performance of larger
applications, it especially impact render time of more complex templates
and forms. During my own testing we gained lots of time by just running
it as a compiled Apache module instead of through CGI and in .htaccess.

On our hosting servers we solved it by running a compiled PHP 5 Apache
module on one server, and regular on the others. This way, if someone
requests PHP 5, they can be put on the server that supports it, and if
somebody wants to switch server from PHP 4 to PHP 5, it's an easy enough
task. Or, of course, we have the CGI option to fall back on.

Regards,
Torgny