Re: PHP vs. ColdFusion

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 14:16, Rick Emery wrote:

> http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2002/papers/html/php/#section_6

Wow, that sure is a crock of FUD bullshit. I'll answer in order of
appearance, I don't want to quote in case of copyright issues.

1. Most interesting settings in php.ini can be set via an apache
   virtual directory configuration or .htaccess override. So the point
   raised is moot. The settings you'll care about for multiple servers
   are usually "register_globals" and "magic_quotes". These are both
   controllable via this technique.

2. No language effectively promotes teamwork. This is why concurrent
   versioning systems like CVS exist. Now, some development environments
   promote teamwork, but again, they usually just employ their own
   versioning system... and many just provide hooks to a CVS repository
   itself.

3. Actually number of distinct pages suggest better teamwork since
   developers and content authors can work on different pages
   simultaneously. The code in the background if properly separated from
   the content will not affect development of content at all (except
   where bugs might occur :)

4. Using PHP buys you plenty. There is no language that enforces a
   programmer to adhere to specific principles of business logic and
   content separation when they are stupid, ignorant, or don't care. I
   personally recommend extending PHP with a templating language, but
   others will definitely argue otherwise... that's a question of
   personal taste. Either way, PHP buys you a massive developer base,
   the potential for an inexperience coder to quickly become competent,
   and lots and lots of free already written software you can use if you
   want. Again though, look what using VB in the past bought managers?
   The big headache of VB.net which wasn't compatible. So sounds like
   you may get screwed regardless. There's absolutely nothing that
   guarantees your future... it doesn't exist yet.

5. There are thousands and thousands of experienced developers out there
   using PHP. The sign of experience is not what language you use, but
   what you can do with a language. Personally I find PHP simple yet
   extremely powerful. I can't say I've ever felt hindered-- but then
   maybe I'm still inexperienced *grin*.

Cheers,
Rob.