Re: PHP vs. ColdFusion

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 19:01, Mark Charette wrote:
> It is always funny to read that one needs OO approches to do anything
> useful. What one needs is a modular approach, re-factoring, and knowing

I never said that you NEED OO approach to do anything. I found some
problems where an OO approach helped me better than a linear approach,
and the inverse is also true.

My point was that a language that gives you the choice of programming
style is interesting. Both CF and PHP give you the choice to use OOP or
not.

Today, everyone agrees that procedural languages are an evolution from
BASIC-style linear programming.

Also, one can agree that OOP is an evolution from procedural
programming. Now, one can choose to stick with linear programming,
procedural programming or OOP. This is a matter of personal taste,
trade-offs that have a different meaning from one individual to another.

You can achieve modularity with procedural coding. But, you need to do
it yourself, while modularity is at the heart of OOP. You may prefer
linear or procedural coding over OOP, but surely not for modularity.

Stéphane