Re: Re[2]: PHP vs. ColdFusion

Hello,

I followed the discussions closely. I wanted to reply to some questions
I saw in the discussions.

I am using both PHP and Coldfusion, but both on Linux platforms. So, I
am not bound to Microsoft technologies, and CF runs faster on Linux/Unix
than on Windows.

Like PHP, there is no need for a dedicated IDE to code/script on CF. You
may use Macromedia software to build web pages only if you want, except
if you want to make Flash movies/animations.

You can edit files manually to configure CF (XML files) with a ssh
access on the server (at least the Linux version I am used to), or use a
web interface to manage it.

Both languages have pros and cons, and I cannot say that one is superior
to the other. It is a matter of taste. I know that someone coming from a
programming background will be more comfortable with PHP, while someone
coming from a web design background may be more comfortable with CF, but
even that is changing. Once you get to do very advanced things, you need
to code using Object Oriented approaches, modular programming, web
services, etc. which both products allow you to do.

It is true that Coldfusion offers a lot of functionality 'out of the
box', and sometimes you need to look around to find equivalent
functionality, extensions for PHP. These functionalities are more geared
towards displaying data, managing forms, etc. PHP also offers a lot of
functionalities out of the box also. For example, PHP is really flexible
about how you want to retrieve a query, in what format, etc. The
functionalities are more geared towards programming utilities.

You can extend Coldfusion functionalities easily by creating 'custom
tags' in Perl, C, C++ or Java without having to recompile the product.
You can also instantiate any classes in Java because Coldfusion is based
on Java since version 5.

So, it's really a matter of personal taste and the background of each
one. I personally take pleasure developing applications on both
Coldfusion and PHP.

Stéphane