Re: Large print - quality issue

Just to clarify. DPI is far from irrelevant to people who print. which is A
LOT OF PEOPLE. (or if you are using a RIP)   LPI an DPI. How many DPI
linearly  Make up your LPI.

My uncle bought a printing company and was very pleased when I was able to hand over piles of halftone screens to him from the advanced dip science course I taught - admittedly the science course specialty was photography, mostly optical physics and chemistry, but I also taught some of the Adv Dip Art students studying graphic design too.. so I was able to salvage so much when all the print presses and affiliated gear was thrown out.

Of course this was more a decade back. I still have a collection of screens but no one wants them any more. I think it took him 6 months before he too ditched the screens, process cameras and went fully 'digital' - outputting from file to plates which would then etch and be ready for printing without ever seeing a half tone screen or him knowing a jot about dpi. That was the advantage of a 4 color RIP in the print game - just drop the image in the software, load the photosensitive plates, etch them and drop them on the drum - no theory needed any more. He was a mathematician so he appreciated the fun side, but work is work and if there's an easy way to do it..

Of course photo printers are a different game. There your 4800 or so dots per inch are still handled by a RIP, and similarly now, it's something the user need know nearly nothing about - they just tell the printer for a draft on plain paper and they get the heavy 360 dots per inch, or they ask for a photo quality on fine paper and get a fine spray of the whole 4800 dots, precisely picked and patterned to use all 4800 dots of the 6 or 8 inks to make the colours needed.

Also the frequency thing is sort of
important as well if you are printing to a 4 color press that is using
halftones.     In a RIP all those things can be adjusted to create better
image quality even on a desktop inkjet.

Good explanation here (of 4 color)
http://the-print-guide.blogspot.com/2009/04/rosettes-everything-you-didnt-realize.html

good quote:
"Photoshop has a very poor halftone screening algorithm so you cannot get either clear or dot centered rosettes using it." RIPS are often better at output tasks. I wish I'd had access to better rips years back when I was playing with the tektronix phasers. That was a waste of good money experimenting with horrendously expensive early colour print tech! Good source of parts for other projects though once they were pulled apart ;)

In a digital single chip Camera every pixel represents 3 DOTs.

(or more commonly 3 dots represent 3 interpolated pixels) I was reminded of this on the list many many years back. It was explained that a sensor of 300 x 400 pixels for example uses groups of 3 pixels to determine colour, then each of those 3 pixels was allocated a colour and luminance to produce the 300 x 400 total pixel image.

 A pixel
represent how ever many dots the software or hardware chooses to use to
make up that pixel.

I usually see a PixEl defined as the smallest element of an image, but yes, the dots in a print are made of ink dots - And while technically each dot by definition could therefore technically be called a pixel, I don't think I've ever heard dots described that way.

Second Order Stochastic CMKY.  Random dots of random size (not really
random as its controlled by the SCREEN frequency.)  You can see there are
grouped into little circles.  Those little blobby circles are Printer
dots.
http://static5.depositphotos.com/1001655/463/v/950/depositphotos_4634956-Cmyk-dot-pattern-vector.jpg

Interesting image - it looks a lot more like a halftone screen generated dot pattern than an inkjet printer pattern - there's many more patterns and the information on the methods by which they were created here: http://www.metropostcard.com/techniques11.html (I LOVED this quote! " inkjet printing is nothing new; its principals were patented by the physicist Sir William Thomson in 1867 but a workable model was not close at hand") A good collection of images under high magnification and certainly interesting from an academic point of view.