Re: Large print - quality issue

Jonathan Turner:

(some bits clipped)

Do you think it's still important to start with the final output size though? Or even at a quarter size perhaps?

it's import to be aware of the final size you're looking for for sure - if you don't know *for sure* then you're only guessing up till it comes time to print and then dissapointment may set in or some other limiting factor may bite you. I fnd it best to work out the limits first ;) Knowing you want a 64 x 42 inch image means right up front, you know what the final image size will be, and the amount of work it'll take to get it. (and just like a person working out change in their heads, you'll also know if you accidentally get something wrong as you'll already know what you're supposed to have got)

But - work with the actual background image size first - that's why i said upsize it (to see what the quality will look like) then forget it. Work with the real size of the background image .. which you say is 4256 x 3823 - no need to make it bigger until the final image composite is put together..

I would have suggested working in 8 bit once you have the exposures close to correct for everything (to reduce file size and computer processing time) but if the example image you linked is anything to go by, you may well need to work in 16 bit all the way through to the upsizing stage to allow you wiggle room to stretch the tonal range. Once the final image looks good though, that's when I'd convert it to 8 bit then upsample it to that final size of 64x42 inch.

Just in case you're interested, the gallery who've commissioned this piece of work have based the project on a show they had a year or so ago by a fantastic photographer called Red Saunders. The tableaux we're making are nowhere near as good as his, but have a look at his stuff to get an idea of what we're trying to achieve;

http://www.redsaundersphoto.eu/1647.html

nowhere near as good.. ? why not? =D I see what you're doing and i'm sure others will leap in and point out the flaws in compositing this particular image - matching lighting angles, proportions, luminance and the other elements to make an image like this work requires a high degree of skill to pull off! There were some really fantastic examples of composites in the photoforum galleries in years gone by but I don't recall seeing many of late. I think the novelty or need kind of fell away .. lots of work .. The graphic design guys do most of that sort of thing almost entirely in 3D programs so they have total control over lighting with all the elements created in-program. Not a luxury you have though since you're working with images of actual people :/

All the best with it - just think in ratios and you'll be fine :)