Re: Large print - quality issue

Hi Karl,

Wow, that's a lot of information to chew on... thanks for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly, it is much appreciated. I'll think through your answers for a while and may have to come back to you on some of your points...

One point that immediately springs to mind though is about the resizing if the composite elements (kids) - lowering the resolution to match the background image; this is something I'd thought about doing but not how you'd described. I'll try it and see what happens. Until now I've just been re-sizing them to fit into the background 'scene' using Photoshops Transform tool, mostly because I've been placing them in groups interacting with one another at different perspectives within the background image - the finished images are supposed to be tableaux of historical scenes. I'd thought about using a filter of some kind to degrade the quality somehow, to make them match the background, but I guess altering the pixel size of each component would do it just as well if not better.

The other point you made about the 'process' is interesting...starting with a background image size at the final output dimensions. Again, I'd thought about this but until recently we didn't really know what the final print size would be. Also, the file size is so big that my computer can't really cope with them... so I've been starting with the background images as determined by the workflow option in photoshops RAW window (at 12MP, 4256 x 3823, 300PPI) adding my re-sized composite elements (cutout and re-sized with Transform) and then resizing the whole image up to the required print size. This all seemed to go fine until we printed an A3 cropped section from an image at 1600mm and realised the background layer was not holding up, or at least, looked a bit rubbish compared to the composited elements (kids).

I've tried starting with a bigger background image by changing the workflow options in the RAW window to it's maximum (25MP, 6144 x 4088, 300PPI) and this seems to have helped, though there is still the issue with background/composite disparity... so I'll try your suggestion of re-sizing the kids to fit the background quality. Do you think it's still important to start with the final output size though? Or even at a quarter size perhaps?

Thanks again though, and I may have to come back with more questions...!

Just in case you're interested, the gallery who've commissioned this piece of work have based the project on a show they had a year or so ago by a fantastic photographer called Red Saunders. The tableaux we're making are nowhere near as good as his, but have a look at his stuff to get an idea of what we're trying to achieve;

http://www.redsaundersphoto.eu/1647.html

cheers,.
Jonathan

Jonathan Turner Photographer e: pictures@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx t: 07796 470573 w: www.jonathan-turner.com