Σχετ: Have we gone too far with Digital?

On May 15, 2014 3:45 AM, "Emily L. Ferguson" <elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I cannot imagine ever being held hostage to the color profile of a film designer again.

Thanks, but no thank you.

And don't even mention grain. Another item we were held hostage by.

Let it go. Film is dead. Even if you want to have whatever you imagine the look of film is/was, you don't need the burden of shooting with film to get it.

My point of view is vastly different.
I think we have misunderstood the term Multimedia in the new digital age.
For me the emaning is not voice, and music, and video and iamges etc....
For me it means Digial, Film, andf VHS, and Analog sound etc etc.
ALL of them are tools in out creativity suitcase, and an handyman does not throw away his screwdrivers for shake of power-drivers
Στις 10:38 μ.μ. Πέμπτη, 15 Μαΐου 2014, ο/η Randy Little <randyslittle@xxxxxxxxx> έγραψε:

The next star wars movie and Hunger games and Amazing spiderman 2 all shot in Vision 3.

here is a list of Feature films shot on Film even though A Red or Arri Alexa or Sony F65 are all very very amazing cameras.  (well I hate RED but thats another story)
http://www.motion.kodak.com/motion/Customers/Productions/index.htm    Again Vision 3 is basically the same technology as Ektar but with a few more flavor options and different backing.

DXO 9(gpu accelerated matters on this one a great deal)  and Capture One 7 both added new de-noise which are nearly as good ninja and happen at the raw stage.   And Neat Image Kills all of them and is very popular in the Film world via its twin Neat Video.  There are other much better denoisers in some of the compositing apps.  I don't think most people want to load up Autodesk composite (toxik) just to denoise a still but you can its free now.    If you want to see how good it is I will gladly run an image through it.  I have never had ninja around since I have always had Neat and the high end Film tools.  So It would be interesting to text the film tools against Ninja.

My last film is still in my frig.  My last digital is still in the CF slot on my leaf.

Randy S. Little

On 2014-05-15 06:01, Randy Little wrote:
> Uhg,  why does everyone have to be so black and white on this topic.

Because, by now, most of us have been polarized one way or the other.

For many of us it was a really easy choice -- My *first* DSLR was
spectacularly better than film in most ways I cared about (flash
auto-exposure sucked compared to film).  My last film is a decade in the
past, but I occasionally scan more of the old collection to remind me
just how nasty a lot of the characteristics of film were.

But you're absolutely right, it's a matter of personal preference.

> The spout reasons that are trivial or purely personal like grain.  Get
> capture one, dxo, or neat and film grain and chip noise will not even be
> worth discussing.

Interesting, Capture One and DXO I rejected in my big raw processor
analysis because their noise reduction was hopelessly bad (I'm used to
using Noise Ninja, either as a Photoshop plugin or integrated with
Bibble Pro or early versions of Corel Aftershot Pro).  Neat Image (I
assume that's what your "neat" refers to?) was the other serious
competitor back when I made that choice.  I hear very good things aobut
Topaz Denoise today.