Re: Have we gone too far with Digital?

Ektar 100 is 15 + stops as is its motion twin vision 3.  Kodak gold 400 has insane dmax but grain.

On May 10, 2014 6:34 PM, "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2014-05-10 13:24, PhotoRoy6@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 5/9/2014 4:37:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> dd-b@xxxxxxxx writes:
>>
>>     And we get 12 or so stops these days; life is good!

> So you are saying there are 12 stops for digital cameras.

Ctein observed both a (my) Nikon D200 and a Fuji SF100 recording 11
stops of exposure range in 2008
<http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/08/camera-test-fuj.html>.

The Black Magic Pocket Cinema camera (Micro Four Thirds mount) claims 13
stops.

DPreview seems to measure more like 10 on random cameras I found reviews
of (but dynamic range isn't really the same as exposure range; however
it looks like DPreview is just using the wrong term).

We are, at least, solidly beyond the useful performance of film,
especially slide film.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info     Nikon DSLR photo list:
http://d4scussion.com