Re: Question re: shutter activations

I spoke to a woman yesterday who shoots horse shows on a 7D and every weekend is above 2500 exposures. Her first shutter death happened around 157k adn her second happened at 213k.

On Aug 30, 2013, at 9:51 PM, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:

That is what I meant ... off by a folder?

And the reason was not that I wanted to know but that someone out in cyberspace wanted to know and asked me and I did not know and so decided to ask the experts here so when I resent the info to her I would be perceived as an expert (giving credit to the source of course)

cheerio,
Andy

From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Eichhorn, Roger [eichhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 4:49 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: Question re: shutter activations

Using the info button when an image is displayed, I get a number for the last image: 100-0321 (it's a quite new Canon 6D.)  The next shot will be numbered 100-0322.  Now, if I go back and erase, say 100-0100 through 100-0110, there will be gap in the number sequence, but the last image will still be numbered 100-0322. I think that there have been 322 actual shutter activations.

This numbering will continue to 100-9999, or 9,999 actuations  The next file number will be 200-0001, so there will then have been 10,000 actuations.  I don't see how you can call that 20,000 actuations.  That shouldn't happen until you've passed 200-9999.  The 19,950 actuation mark should translate to an image number 200-9950.

Best, Roger

Sent from my iPad