RE: Question re: shutter activations

At 2:18 AM +0000 8/30/13, Andrew Davidhazy wrote:
The numbers seem to repeat after reaching 9999 ... or am I mistaken?
The numbers appear to repeat, but if you examine the card by placing it in a reader on your desktop you will see that it contains a folder with a 3-digit number on it. It takes a long time to shoot the first folder full, and if you don't reset the counter every time you replace the card, and instead allow the camera to create filenames incrementally starting at 0001 you will notice that the folder on the card has changed its name from 100 to 200.

So actually shot number 9999 is something like 19,999 and the next shot is 20,000.

I once understood that my Canon shutters could handle something like 300,000 actuations over their lifetime. I've never been able to beat the salt water I shoot in to get anywhere near that.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx