Re: file numbering systems

>I use a non-repeatable system which includes the year, month and day plus roll number as in 130621-24

I use a similar system for original digital files. I separate groups of pictures in folders by event, so I have something like

20130620 - MV Tamarugal - Copper Concentrate.

Inside each folder I keep the camera file numbers, even if they are from different cameras or video scenes. Otherwise, I keep the camera clock up-to-date for further information.

Quite notably, every once in a while I open a folder for "Various".

When I am processing pictures, I always work on copies. So I keep an "original" folder and a "client" folder. Sometimes I feel this is overkill, but I fear I will need the original sometime.

Alberto Tirado