Re: tried and true

On 2013-06-09 14:45, Jan Faul wrote:

> Through the last 30-odd years, I have suggested and used the LIFE photography series as guides for myself and other photographers. I worked on the series back in the 1970’s when most of the photography was being done by John Neubauer, and talk about competition! John lives in Florida now and I hope he is well.
>
> Now that the LIFE series is cheap from places like Amazon, I recommend you read them all. I think there are about 30 volumes in the set. A couple of years ago when I began riding a wheelchair full-time, I bought a set of 17 from Amazon for $93 including shipping. They cover the waterfront and if you are looking for an all-round foundation for better photography, this is it. The books go over various trends, other photographers, styles, and so forth.

My parents bought me a set in the 1970s, and they're still on the
shelves here (in the living room, with the display books, not hidden
away up in the library).  They were strikingly good books, especially
for the time.  I'll have to look through them again, I haven't looked
into them in some time now.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info