tried and true

Through the last 30-odd years, I have suggested and used the LIFE photography series as guides for myself and other photographers. I worked on the series back in the 1970’s when most of the photography was being done by John Neubauer, and talk about competition! John lives in Florida now and I hope he is well.

Now that the LIFE series is cheap from places like Amazon, I recommend you read them all. I think there are about 30 volumes in the set. A couple of years ago when I began riding a wheelchair full-time, I bought a set of 17 from Amazon for $93 including shipping. They cover the waterfront and if you are looking for an all-round foundation for better photography, this is it. The books go over various trends, other photographers, styles, and so forth.

Another book I still use as a reference is Perweiler’s "Secrets of Studio Still Life” as it takes one through the process of setting up and lighting a still life shot. Your petrified tree is a still life.

For your tree shot, I would have used a wider lens at something of an angle to give the viewer a sense of the length of the tree and lest we forget, if you’re not using a tripod, you’re not taking sharp pictures. If your tree shot had been with a wide lens on anybody’s camera on a tripod you could have shot at f22 at 1/30th with the ISO set to 80 and had a great start. If you’re serious about taking better pictures, you need to learn to work on a tripod and to use wide lenses to achieve great DOF and with that, great detail and a foreground. Petrified trees have an advantage over real trees: the wind will not move them.

Jan