Re: PF members exhibit on 8 JUN 2013

Im not in the apa.  I was in apny but left once it rejoined apa. I am a member of VES (visual effects society).  But I get benifit from that.    What happened with ASMP that everyone left?

Right now I am working with my old rep to shoot a new book as all my commercial work is now quite old.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

-------- Original message --------
From: Jan Faul <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 06/09/2013 4:12 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PF members exhibit on 8 JUN 2013

On Jun 9, 2013, at 2:21 PM, RsLittle wrote:

Jan I'm waiting for y0our view on my series in 10 gallery.   Really.  I
Its my first still seri

es since 321111111111100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.I left new york for the film world.  Some of them are currently on display at Chiat/Day in L.A.  In an APA EXIBIT.

I went over nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn (Editing by Squeak my studio cat)  the bamboo shots and instantly recognized them as the same plants which took over my mother’s yard about 30 years ago.  If you ever plant bamboo anywhere, make sure you really love it as you will get slammed. Bamboo is largely ignored both as a building material and as a decorative plant in the US, where any farmer worth his salt will go on and on about what a pest it is.

But carefully lit and styled it will look as timeless as the material is. I’m sure the desire to ‘fix’ its defects was great, and I think it is good they are still there. They are a series of elegant shots done is a way only studio light can muster.

Chiat/Day impresses me a little as it is one of the largest agencies. APA is the mis-named American Photographic Artists which should be named either American Commercial Photographic Artists, or perhaps just simply, American Photographic Hacks. When ASMP imploded and lost a reported ‘hundreds of members’ including me, APA could not get their act together to pick them up, and that was a serious mistake. I used to be a member, but... they don’t seem to have an opinion about anything substantive. I won’t go into the long story they gave me, but it was utter BS. My avice would be to go on your own and to hell with APA. They are not a safety net and clients don’t care what they stand for.

NIce work all in all, but stay away from photo organizations which charge an arm and a leg for what?

Art Faul

The Artist Formerly Known as Prints
------
Camera Works - The Washington Post