Gallery review

My take on this week's show.

Lea

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated FEB 11, 2012. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

                    Robert G. Earnest - Butte, Montana  Interesting vantage point and nice depth of field. Needs a bump of black to knock the blue back. The curves do a nice job of leading your eye through the image.

                    Sherie Taylor - Venice Pier at sunrise  Yep, yep, yep. I like this. The clutter on the beach is a bother that could easily be knocked out with reframing or PS. This is a very calming image to me.

                    Dan Mitchell - Narrowboat  Not much more than a snapshot to me but it does make me wish I could go for a ride on that boat.

                    Emily L. Ferguson - Late spring afternoon, Boston, MA.   My pick of the week. Very nice.  The light, the windows, the squares, the shadow. Everything in here works very well. Nice.

                    Howard Leigh - Wet Whitehaven, Cumbria, U.K.  Welcome back to active posting and happy retirement, too. This image could benefit from a contrast bump and sharpening. On first glance the figures distracted me but they've grown on me and add something to this image that might be rather dull without them. Along the very right edge of the image there are two very brights white bits of light...one just above where the paint changes from dark to light and one behind the closest figure's head. They keep nabbing my attention. I like this image but think it could be made much stronger with some small tweaks.

                    John Palcewski - For Sale  What's interesting to me is how the red/orange tones in the lower left corner lead to the orange light on the green car which lead to the red/orange signals on the gray station wagon which is mostly blocked by the walking man. Those colors literally drag my eye through the image.

                    Bob McCulloch - Mysterious Island  This makes me think what a rock in a slingshot might see.  I can appreciate the symmetry of the image but it doesn't do much for me.

             Christopher Strevens - Bus crowd The white sign on the left and the black sliver in the lower right corner bother me. However, this image makes me wish I were in London boarding a red double-decker bus, headed perhaps off to a cup of tea somewhere wonderful and warm.

your kids . my camera . we'll click
www.leamurphy.com