gallery review

http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html

Before this week's submissions disappear I have this to say of them:

Lea Murphy - Josh with a curl 	A favorite portrait of a favorite little boy. Many things went right in this image. It smacks of little boy summertime childhood to me and I love that.

Trevor Cunningham - sprout   I was surprised to find this a plant as it looked like a butterfly in the thumbnail. I really like the tonality of the far right leaves, it's a bit blown on the left. What will become of all these photos? A book? A gallery?

Bob McCulloch - Pier 	Something needs to change to make this interesting. The vertical post cutting the frame in half is a bother to me. There is no focus on any one thing so it's messy visually. The vertical posts mixing with the diagonal shadows could be interesting but it would require different framing.

Jim Snarski - Flying Colors  Amazingly sharp considering it was taken through a glass door. Shallow depth of field worked well here. I would like to see more of the Townsend's warbler reflection...it cuts off too soon for me.

John Palcewski - Upper East Side 	Nice snappy. Doesn't do much for me other than that.

Sherie Taylor - Ferris Wheel 	This scene had such promise but this image ended up being ho-hum to me. Horizon dead center, not sharp, visually cluttered, uninteresting sky and main point of interest dead center. What I do like is the wheel and its reflection in the water and the nicely lit buildings to the right. A crop removing the jumble of buildings on the left would clean up the image visually, off-set the wheel and strengthen the image. Less sky would help, too. Or a more interesting one but you can't really control that, I realize.

Christopher Strevens - St Pauls from Blackfriars 	 The building falling in from the left really bothers my eye though the detail in it is nice. The burnt out dome is a disappointment. Should be sharper but I'm sure you knew that.

 Andrew Davidhazy - Portrait  Wow. The detail in this is really interesting...the hair and through her chest especially. How did you do this and not have her bottom be totally smooshed? Maybe she's jumping, not lying down? Anyway, not the kind of portrait I'm really taken with but I can certainly appreciate your mastery in its creation.

Lea

your kids . my camera . we'll click
www.leamurphy.com