gallery review

I had to laugh at the numbers of emails this week about the gallery not loading properly then the very few numbers of reviews.

Lea

Here's my thoughts on what's currently showing:

          Emily Ferguson - waiting at Logan
First off I'm struck by wishing I could wait at an airport in a rocking chair. Is Logan an airport? Looks like one to me. Anyway, I like the idea of the rocking chairs. The black lines take away from the image and make it choppy. I really like the reflections on the floor.

          Lea Murphy - Bloch Museum interior detail, Kansas City
I love walking around our Bloch museum...it's like being in a softbox all white and gray, soft blue and green with very little black to be seen. I like photographing the different lines and lights and ever so subtle textures. I have a collection of images made at the Bloch...perhaps one day they'll become a Blurb.

          Sherie Taylor - Venice Pier Sunset
That sky is spectacular. Good leading lines from the pier. Nicely placed seagulls. Well done.

          Trevor Cunningham - rise of the planet
Gosh, I think this monkey loves having you come to the zoo...

          Dan Mitchell - Cloisters
Interesting that at the end of this old, old structure is a modern car. I agree that it would be stronger with one, or no, figures though they do give scale. In my mind this is screaming to be a high contrast black and white image. Very nice verticals.

          Bob McCulloch - Morning Fire
Again, stunning sky. Love the red. Cropping up from the bottom to remove the black object on the right would strengthen it and take the horizon off-center and  show off more of that delightful sky.

          John Palcewski - Darkroom/Bedroom 1998
This seems like something that could be the cover of a torrid romance/mystery novel written by some anonymous noir author. The woman appears utterly lifeless...almost corpse-like but for that bent knee. Must you be a photographer to know the space also lends itself to photography? The chemicals, trays, the timer, the paper safe. Combining the two...a corpsish woman with photography..on first glance made me think of dissection and how women are frequently dissected and remade to be something completely different (thinking here of the modern day use of Photoshop to rebuild models into their bestest selves). There is something about this image that is compelling and dark  to me though I find it very hard to put my finger on. The cobra snakelike appearance of the lamp above her head has gotten my attention several times.

     	Andrew Davidhazy - White Noise
 This reminds me of the tips of sewing needles all lined up next to one another though I wonder what it really is. On quick glance it reminds me of skyscrapers in a city.

your kids . my camera . we'll click
www.leamurphy.com