RE: HSS and Macro

On the other hand, 99% of my successful macro photographs have been on a
tripod, mirror lock, with a "cable" release (I'm using digital, so "cable"
is a bit of a misnomer). It is true I don't photograph bugs, and my macro
work is usually of objects that don't tend to move on their own, so
perhaps the OP's situation is different. He says he shoots in a small
lightbox tent (of what?), which, to me, would seem perfect for a tripod,
at least with a slightly longer focal length lens.

But macro photography is, to me, akin to landscape photography on a small
scale. So, for some of the same reasons that folks use a tripod for
landscape, I use it for macro. Note also that I rarely go above 1:1 (or
even 1:2), so perhaps even the "macro" designation is a slight stretch,
but certainly some of my photographs are "close-ups".

I use an old Leitz Tiltall and manual lenses (rather a glutton for
punishment, but I like the control) , largely with natural light, but
occasionally I'll use some fill flash.

Andrew
--
http://andrewsharpe.com