HSS and Macro

I recently upgraded to a D300s. This meant that I could then convert my D200 to IR only...and I'm loving the bigger pictures. Prior to this, I used a D70 which had fantastic high speed flash sync capabilities. I was generally shooting around 1/1000th @f22 to 32+ (using a Tamron 90mm w/macro 1:1). Seems the D200 doesn't like this, even with the Auto FP flash sync mode enabled. So, now I'm down around 1/250th and having to really tone down my strobe to about 1/16th power. I feel like I'm losing control over my lighting options. Also, I like the faster shutter for shooting macro because I have to hand-hold everything. I suppose I could get some sort of boom to get me in there more steadily. Any body know any neat tricks to bypass this limitation? ND filters seem like a pain in the behind.