RE: HSS and Macro

On Thu, November 10, 2011 10:30, Gregory Fraser wrote:

>>My forays (I'm not the OP, note) into shooting macro from a tripod have
>> been remarkably unsuccessful.
>>None of the photos I like have come from them, and it's a lot more
>> annoying to try to work that way.
>
> The only macro fun I have done was with a tripod, bellows and reversed
> 50mm lens. At that level of magnification you cannot compose the shot
> hand-held because the dof is so shallow that even tiny camera movement has
> a profound effect upon the final image. Still, I can't help but believe a
> tripod is definitely the way to go for the best images.

Certainly I'm frequently working with DoF that's 1/10 the depth of the
actual flower.  I think I'm not magnifying as far as you, though.

> I bought my Manfrotto tripod specifically with macro photography in mind.
> The legs move independently, they can bend far enough that the tripod can
> almost sit flat on the ground, the shaft you connect the camera to can be
> mounted sideways or even upside down under the tripod. I've never been
> unable to set it up for any shot I wanted.

I can set the tripod up for one shot easily enough.  The problem is I
generally have to look at half a dozen or so before deciding what I really
like, and doing THAT on a tripod really runs up the effort.

> A good tripod is the best lens you will ever own.

I'm very glad I upgraded my tripod head and quick-release mechanism the
other year; it's made using the tripod a lot easier and hence more
productive.

Still, I'm often limited by subject motion -- in macro if there's any
breeze, in low light because I shoot human subjects there, etc.  So I tend
to think that a lens a stop or two faster than anything else is my best
friend :-) .

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info