Re: comments

On Fri, August 12, 2011 10:45, Emily L. Ferguson wrote:
> There is no point in time or place when the horizon is not level, sorry.
>
> Somewhere behind or below whatever you're shooting there is a level,
> horizontal horizon.

Yes.

But the question isn't that (which can be settled with a level, or in some
modern cameras a built-in sensor).  The question is, does the picture
"look right?"

If the actual landscape has a long flat tilted bit, it may very well look
better to have the "real" but invisible horizon tilted, with the visible
horizon straight.

> If the tree would be canted, then perhaps it constitutes the right angle
> of the horizon. Or perhaps it's not vertical. Trees don't necessarily grow
> straight up.

Also true; and, when we're doing art, also irrelevant.

The question remains, what looks "right"?

Which is in turn subjective of course.
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info