RE: "Super" macro...Andy?

Kenco used to make a really nice monorail bellows, and I see some on E-Bay
as well. I tend to shy away from them because extension tubes with a good
macro will trump a bellows in consistency. Additionally, you don't have to
worry about pinholes in the bellows itself messing you up. And most people
who use a bellows actually use an enlarging lens and not a macro or standard
photo lens to shoot with because of its' design to project sharply across a
flat field- ideal for macro work. The extension tubes will have a known
exposure factor too, and particularly with digital, you have to be exact in
your exposure if you want the highest quality results. I consider digital to
be more critical in exposure than even slide film.

And as far as the lighting goes, lighting is lighting is lighting... If you
set up strobes that are 4:1 on a big subject, it will be the same in smaller
versions as well. DOF and subject cooperation (I was a photojournalist, and
we don't manipulate... hahaha!) can be tough in macro/micro work and
patience is always a good thing to have on-hand during these sessions. If
you're shooting for a particular look and don't want everything to be in
focus, DOF can be critical and with extension tubes, even more difficult to
predict. There are several good DOF calculators- some of which can calculate
for extension tubes with a particular lens as well. May be worth a look on
the internet for these. Most, if I recall correctly, are free or cost very
little. And remember too that DOF splits- 1/3 of the DOF will be BEFORE the
point of focus and 2/3 afterward. So, if you're getting very critical with
the focus, you can predict what will fall within your DOF by being very
exact with the Point of focus.

Hope this helps.

Mark Lent