Re: gallery review

On Mon, August 23, 2010 00:19, Andrew Sharpe wrote:
> Good point. I occasionally do some dodging and burning (with the
> dodge/burn tool), but only if my original exposure was a bit off, or if
> something is a bit distracting in the image. I do not have Ansel Adams'
> touch with the zone system, n-1 and n+1 developing, or his dodging and
> burning skills, and I have not really tried to duplicate these methods
> with photoshop. Not yet retired, I have only the time to learn
> composition, design, light and exposure. My "darkroom" skills are
> limited, but that forces me to take the time when I photograph to make
> the best picture I can. I shoot with only old manual primes (except when
> traveling), and believe me, that slows you down.

I was probably a middling decent B&W darkroom printer (I certainly didn't
have the speed to be professional).  Dodging and burning were important
even for snapshot album pictures.  I also used selective development of
the print sometimes to achieve effects similar to burning in.  Not for
every picture, but most.

Shooting in 35mm, I didn't do the altered-processing side of the zone
system much.  I pushed a lot of film, though (and have a D700 now, for the
high ISO performance).

I still use the 50, 35, and 24mm lenses I got in the early 1980s, but less
and less.  I ditched the 105 some time ago, and the zooms from that long
ago.  The 24-70/2.8 zoom covers that range, only a stop slower.

The nice thing about curves layers with layer masks is that you can alter
either the mask or the curve later very easily; and once you get it right,
it stays there, and each print comes out the same.  (Yeah, I know
collectors who don't like that.  Sorry, guys.)  This makes dodging and
burning almost solely an intellectual task, with very little physical
component.  Which suits me better personally.  Also I can try the curve
first with a VERY rough mask (the mask being what takes time) to see if
it's going to be anything right, and not spend the time on a GOOD mask
until I know it will do what I want.

I've been spending variable amounts of time on photography since I was,
oh, 8 years old.  Semi-seriously since I was 12 (when I got my mother's
old 35mm rangefinder camera).  Not retired yet, and if I keep spending on
photography at this rate I may never be able to.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info