Re: PF gallery on 04-24-10

All,

Here are my thoughts on this week's collection of photographs.

----- Original Message ----- From: "ADavidhazy" <andpph@xxxxxxx>
<SNIP>
Subject: PF gallery on 04-24-10

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated APR 14, 2010. Authors with work now on display at: http://people.rit.edu/andpph/gallery.html include:

            Kostas Papakotas = a friends' wedding

A unique and effective view from the usual wedding photograph. I suspect you did not pose them like this. It might have been interesting, if you had control, if the bride had turned her head so you could see her face.

            Emily Ferguson - The water just goes 'round and 'round

I do like the composition and sense of calm and quiet. I'm not sure I care that the water is not actually going around anything. The light is beautiful.

            Dan Mitchell - Trees

The result of all that work is very nice. There is a bit of a wet plate look to the photograph. It is alost like you captured two lovers.

            Trevor Cunningham - more hollyhocks

Morning sun, B&W, low-key and terrific shadows result in a very well made photograph. The low viewpoint is also a good choice. You don't say but is this IR?

            John Palcewski - Oh, no!

The window, and view out of it, is such a major part of the composition it would have been interesting to see what was out there. This was obviously not made whaile in the air but I am left wondering if the pilot it reacting to something inside or outside the plane. Of course, you might have just asked him to do this.

            Guy Glorieux - On hold

I would guess this was made during the the recent holds due to the Iceland volcano. That context helps understand what is, or rather is not going on. I'm not sure how you could demonstrate that visually.

            Rob Miracle - Why?

I do like the overall image and get the titled feeling from it. You have managed to hold enough texture in her clothes so her exposed body parts are not floating. My only issue is with the exposed bottom of her shoe which I find slightly distracting.

<SNIP>

Mark Harris
gsphotoguy@xxxxxxx
http://gsphotoguy.photography.com/