Re: IT skills

Emily L. Ferguson wrote:

I'd just rather take my $50/hr for about 200 hrs a year from my PEBCAK clients and spend the rest of my time taking photographs.
You're right about PEBKAC. The funny thing is, Mac users like to say that PC users are vulnerable to problems like viruses and malware. Actually on Windows you're only vulnerable to these things if you behave like an idiot and click on anything that says "Free Smileys Here *wink* *wink*" (works on kids) or "Free Porn Here *wink* *wink*" (works on adults) - I don't run any anti-virus software, anti-spyware or even a firewall (other than that provided by my NAT router) - they slow you down. My protection is not being an idiot and clicking on things that are clearly evil. That protection has been enough to mean I've never been infected with malware, not in 17 years of using Windows. The only reason Windows is more vulnerable to this stuff is because Windows is more commonly used, so all the malware is written to run on Windows. If you click on the "Free Porn Here" link on a mac, the malware simply doesn't work on your computer - you're safe, but you're still an idiot.

What Mac users really mean to say when they critisize Windows machines on security is "When I use a PC, I behave like an idiot and consequently get infected with all sorts of crap, Apple protect me from that crap by being incompatible with it." - I wouldn't really call that a decent security model to be honest.

I'm sorry if I'm calling any of you here idiots, but I'm afraid it's true. My PC is living proof that you can defend against malware by simply being smart about what you click on.

--
~Kieran Simkin
http://slinq.com/