Re: How many----?

Depth of field is related to image magnification.

The way I teach it is at, say 1:1 magnification, any lens on any format, film or digital, will give you the same depth of field. (At the same aperture)

The reason subjects shot on 6x7cm have less DOF than 24X36mm (35mm) is because when you fill the frame with the subject, the 6x7cm image will have greater magnification by around 2X hence shallower DOF.

It's an often misunderstood thing but really very simple. It's all about magnification. Not about optics. Of course optics do affect the way the out-of-focus areas look but that's another matter.

karl shah-jenner wrote:
Canon lenses have absolutely no relation to Leica lenses.  There is no
comparison.

With all due respect Tina, that's rubbish

f0.95 Canon f0.95 Leica = same DoF

Aside from that mathematical fact, I was comparing lens focal lengths,
formats, DoF's and CoCs not brands (you have heard the story that Leica
purchased and had rebadged under contract a Sigma zoom lens?)

And push come to shove and gloating over lenses - I sit here with not one
but two a 40-400 : 5.6 Taylor Hobson Thorium Element lenses .. this company
won a technical oscar for their zooms - you can hire them for cine (with
much higher technical requirements than still photography)  for a little
over $500 per day from panavision
http://www.panavision.co.nz/Main/printrent.asp?cat=all  - mine are for
still work.

so no, I don't just use Canons.  I also use Angenieux's as well as Tokinas
and Industars - whichever lens is best for the job

Did I mention my Bausch and Lomb 500mm TELE?

karl