Re: How many----?

Bob:

After reading a couple posts in a computer forum I have a question.....
How true is this statement?

> You will find that many professional photographers still use film for
> most things (6x6 format is still *the* choice for quality hi res
> imaging), and only use digital for things that will not need high
> resolution.

Different fields of photography have different needs - and here in my part
of the world (Perth, Western Australia) you'd find:

For all but the most specialized medical photography, digital has taken
over completely.

Wedding photographers seem torn between film and digital, as customers have
strong preferences for one over the other OR they want to hedge their bets
and have film for longevity and digital for convenience (but they dont want
to pay for scanning film - so since it's viewed as 'cheaper' to shoot digi,
they ask for that as well) - and both 35mm and 120 have their place.

In real estate (marketing) photography it's all digital, and largely done
by unskilled casual shooters

The high end advertising stuff is almost non existant now, the work being
done on the East coast of the country, overseas or pilfered from image
stock.

Aerial is completely digital.

Not sure what the millitary is using, but I remember seeing a *lot* of 120
film cameras going out to auction some time back.

the various government departments, mining companies and other large
industries don't seem to employ photographers either in-house or contracted
any more, most of the work is done with digital cameras in the hands of
general employees with shooting skills ranging from non existent to pretty
damned good.

A lot of the catalogue work for company productions that I know of is done
in-house (in many cases, the whole production up to the print stage) by
general employees, semi skilled in the use of cameras, or using images
pilfered from manufacturers sites.