Re: DSLR vs 4x5 film

Dave:

Most DSLRs have built in function that does the bracketing automatically. If you are using a shutter speed of greater the 1/100th second, then the multiple exposures will occur in less than 1/50th of a second. If you get cloud blur at that shutter speed, I suggest that it's not really a cloud but perhaps a tornado ( just kidding ).

Scanning the 4x5 at 5000 ppi changes the relative equations quite a bit. However the limitations of the large format lens / negative combo still limit the image resolution to about 40 lpi and with great lenses, perhaps 60 lpi. The 5000 ppi scan will then be recording the grain structure but you won't be getting additional image sharpness because of it.

On the other hand, having access to such a high resolution scanner makes the choice much more difficult. I think it will finally come down to the relative degree of comfort you have with the LF system vs the DSLR.

Go with what works for you.

Best of luck,

James