Re: formatting under Vista®

From: "Bob" <w8imo@xxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators Subject: Re: formatting under Vista®

: I thought I read here, and other photo places, that the only way to
: format a media card for a camera is IN THE CAMERA......

that's an oft cited message - especially iportant for those who use XD or SM card, these being found only (?) in P&S cameras.  It's MOST important in these cases as there are card and manufacturer incompatibilities and as recently discussed, even card reader/card incompatibilities.

PCMCIA / microdrives / CF and MMC* cards do not have this problem as they generally comply with hard drive standards.. (*save the MMC version known as SD) and for those who want to make sure images are truly scrubbed, relying on the camera is a bit dangerous - an example, I had someone recently who accidentally formatted their card in camera then realised the card dump they did to their mac was actually not completed and they feared they'd lost all their images.

I recovered them all..

and most of the images from the previous shoot

and some from even before that!

each time the card had been formatted in camera.

but aside from that if a card fails in-camera and needs reformatting it'll often need to be done on a computer if the camera refuses to recognise the card or if the format fails repetitively..

and there problems will arise with Vista :(

unless the fix is applied :)

karl