RE: a camera story

On Fri, June 27, 2008 02:15, Chris wrote:

> There were lots of Americans and Canadians there. One young woman had a
> camera like mine but was using a 500 mm telephoto to take birds (hand
> held).
> I?ve seen these for sale at £1000. I was jealous. I might be able to
> afford
> the mirror lens version from Mr Cad. I think it is called a ?Cadiotropic?
> (sp) lens.

Close, "Catadioptric".

I was shooting with my old Spiratone 500mm f/8 on Tuesday.  It's small,
light, and focuses close (manually).  But it's f/8.  Slower really, in
actual transmitted light, because the secondary mirror covers a fair bit
of the aperture (an example of the real-world significance of "t-stops" in
addition to "f-stops").  And I had a fair amount of trouble focusing it,
too, especially if the subject wasn't in direct sun.

A glass 500/4.5, or whatever exactly she was using, must be quite heavy
for hand-holding!  And presumably has IS, which would help a lot.

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info