Re: straight line response?

> Roger,
>
> Insightful as usual!!  The truth is that I don't know the details of my
> question. It is just that it struck me that electronic devices somewhere
> along
> their "response" chain behaved like or somewhat like film at the "toe" and
> "shoulder" of a film characteristic curve. And maybe even in the
> midportions
> possibly. Is "reciprocity" or the "reciprocity law" (actually I don't
> think it
> is a "law") followed by digital devices since we've been shown it is not
> by
> "analog" ones like film?

Hmmm.  The digital sensors are, at bottom, photon counters, right?  (Not
capturing 100%, but capturing a fixed percentage of the photons that hit
them?)  To the extent that's true, their response would inherently be
"linear" in number of photons.

Human vision *isn't* linear, though, so the sensors will deliver results
differing from the human perception.

It's certainly possible to clip the highs (easily demonstrated :-(), so
the sensors aren't perfectly and totally linear under all conditions.