straight line response?

Hi, sure ... I could look it up using google or something.

There is always talk about the linear response of electronic imaging devices such as CCDs, etc. while the pitfalls on non-linear response of films are denigrated.

I'd like to know whether digital systems truly, completely and irrevocably provide straight line response throughout their range.

On rereading the question maybe I am making some bad assumptions or not giving enough information. Oh, well ... that's the way it goes!!

cheers,
andy