Re: CF Card Errors

Gregory Stempel wrote:
I have a problem that just occured that suggests a virus has hit my cameras possibly through a compact flash card.
Hi Gregory. In trouble shooting we look for the simple problems first then move on to more complex problems. This is based on Hakem's Razor which says the simplest solution is probably the right one. Given that the probability of a Nikon camera specific virus that can transfer itself to the camera's firmware is very remote. Heck even the D100 didn't have a writable firmware anyway, so it makes the virus option so remote, we can pretty much right it off.

Lets look at the facts at hand.

I currently run with three Nikons, including the D200. I loaned my old D100 to young photographer and gave them a couple of 1 gig CF Ultra memory cards. She claimed that she took the card out after shooting some images, tried to load the images onto her mom's laptop, but the laptop didn't have a card reader.

She tried to download the photos on a laptop without a card reader? What did she try and insert the card into? The PCMCIA slot? The CD tray (People have done some strange things). Did the original card suffer some physical damage or some electronic damage?

She then put the CF card back into the camera and got the dreaded flashing CHA error. I tried to troubleshoot the card by placing into my D200 and now my D200 gives the same error. Neither camera will take a card now and every card I attempt to insert into eiither camera displays the same flashing CHA error and states "this card can not be used" in the LCD panel.
So the Bad card now prevents any card from working in two separate cameras. So something has probably physically damaged the card readers in the cameras. I would suggest looking at the card that started having the problems and see if something is jammed in one of the pin slots. It of course could be something inside that you can't see just by looking at the card. Next examine both cameras and see if a pin has been bent? Was there any unusual resistance putting the card into the D200?

This is the simplest explanation given the facts.

Rob

Rob Miracle
rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.robmiracle.com