Re: Photographers Still Using Film

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@xxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students" <photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 1:15 AM
Subject: Re: Photographers Still Using Film

: Excellent!  That is, I was having a really hard time getting my memories
: to agree with your numbers; and I have no slightest reason to suspect
: you're making up your numbers, and paper is more stable than memory
: :-).  And having it be Australian rather than US dollars is probably
: enough to make the whole thing collapse into sense.
:
: Well, except the part about 35mm and MF costing the same for a basic
: outfit, anyway.   But the individual numbers I was getting hung up on
: work out much better (particularly since the AD and USD have moved
: somewhat relative to each other over the period we're discussing).

well sorta - I sell when the aus dollar is down, buy when it's up ;)

: > No, that is no typo - that's what we got charged here for such a lens.  The price list confirms it.
: >
:
: I meant the "3.8", not the price.

you gotme ther!  2.8 (slap!)

: > this is the one you priced compared to the Canon I listed above?
: >
:
: The Tamron 300/2.8?  I got that one used, in fact, for about $1k.  The
: Tokina 80-200/2.8 was in 1994, part of the move back to Nikon/move to AF
: for me.

I only listed Canon lenses, no aftermarkets .. except that 200-500 Tamron I love so much ;)

: I started 35mm with my mother's old Bolsey 35 (rangefinder, fixed lens),
: then bought a Miranda Sensorex with 50/1.4, traded that in a complex
: deal for a big Pentax system (lenses from 28mm to 400mm!  *Automatic*
: flash!), picked up a used Leica M3 around the same time, had it all
: stolen, started over with a Nikon FM (around 1980 now), went to Olympus
: in 1987 for the multi-spot metering, then back to Nikon in 1994 for the
: AF, then a digital P&S in 2000 and my first DSLR in 2003.
:
: The multi-spot metering was cool enough, but overall (and because
: Olympus missed the AF boat and my experiments showed me that AF was a
: win for what I did) the Olympus detour was not a big success.  So maybe
: I should have spent that money on MF equipment after all!

you'd have loved it !

and given the prices now..

;)

karl