Re: Photographers Still Using Film

Me:
: > The rule always was, a kit cost the same amount whether it be 35mm, MF or LF.  A good body, a short, 'standard' and long lens, darkbag and appropriate film holders.

David:
: Huh?  Never even vaguely true anytime during my phtographic life (since
: 1969 let's say).  MF was tremendously more expensive than 35mm, which is
: why I've never really gotten into it (had a Yashicamat 124G, had a
: Fujica GS645, had a Norita Graflex that was given to me).

I cannot recall the name of the author who qrote this, nor the name of the book they wrote this in, but hating to simply parrot what others have written I looked into it at the time I read it, and to my surprse, it was true.   Not just vaguely true, but to a very surprised me, quite accurate.   The author was trying to explain away the reasons for avoiding medium and large format - something which I and many other 35mm shooters had done because we had all heard that an 'outfit' was much more expensive than 35mm.  Sounds like you stayed clear for these reasons.. after reading his article, comparing prices and counting my money I jumped into both MF and LF, and both have cost me a lot less than my various 35mm outfits (which include 5 not-cheap Canon F1's of various flavours)

I looked again, dragging out my price lists from 1983,84 and 1994,95 and this was what I found

an 'outfit' as the author described it for 35mm generally called for a wide, a standard, a medium long and a long lens and maybe a zoom while a MF outfit called for fewer lenses - a short, standard and medium long, and a LF outfit generally meant either a wide and a standard or a long and a standard as few shooters (so the article went) shot both sides of 'normal'

I dissagree with that..
Anyway, this is what I found

1983:
Canon F1N list price $1400
Leica R4 list price $1900

Rollei SL2000F list price $2100
Bronica SQ-A list price $1500

so far they look kind of the same..

1995 price lists

Canon F1N $4600
28:2 $1440
50:1.4 $400
135:2 $1400
200:2.8 $1500
80-200:4 $1500
total: $10,840
(I *really* wanted to add my Tamron 200-500:5.6 $3150 to this list ! ;)

EOS 1N $3800
EF 28:2.8 $500
EF 50:1.8 $300
EF 300:3.8L $10,400
EF 100-300:5.6 $900
total: $15,900

Nikon F4s $3500
include comparable lenses to the F1N above
total: $12,288

OM4Ti $2500
(no lenss prices available, ie, POA)
rangefinder:
Konica Hexar $1100

MF:
Not a lot of prices listed :(  (POA's)
so I'll go with the only one I have a lsit price for, the Rollei's - not a cheapie camera in their day and certainly up there with the hasseblads.  Local pros used this lens kit
Rolleiflex SL66E $5600
50mm $3300
80mm $1890
150mm $3596
total $16,886

LF:
Cambo SCN $1500
Linhof Technorama 6x12 PC-11 $3295
Linhof Kardan GT45 $3100

Add the following lenses as suitable:
Grandagon 90:6.8 $$1640
Sironar 150:5.6 $896
Apo-Ronar 240:9 $1500

to me it still today looks as it did back then when I first read this and looked into it - sure, I'm comparing apples with oranges, but if you take the idea that a good 'outfit' can be comparably priced and consider how many lenses 35mm shooters use compared to MF shooters, or LF shooters (both who generally do NOT aspire to own the whole lens range!) it kinda does come out even if not cheaper for a LF 'kit' than for a 35mm 'kit'

It's also worth bearing in mind that MF and LF camera lenses are pretty limitted.  There's not so much the 'L series' syndrome 35mm shooters are faced with.

I note on this price list Canon has (1995) over 54 lenses listed, with no less than 20 L series lenses.  As you can guess a $20,000 lens added to the list would be a bit iffy but then hey - Rollei's most expensive is less than $8000.  Canon lists five lenses exceeding this price.  Rodenstock's large format range has only one lens in the $8000 range, the next dearest is less than $6000

it's a stupid argument if one wanted to throw comparisons backward and forward - but looking realistically at a good kit, LF and MF kit prices are not so much more (if at all more) than a good 35mm outfit

nowhere did I see MF as  tremendously more expensive .
karl