Re: Photo Critique Guidelines (excerpt)

Hi Herschel.

Devil's advocate indeed. You have taken bits out of their context and provided what appears on the surface to be a case of conflicting information; the points agree with one another, however, when maintaining their context.

Every critique is subjective, period. I never said it wasn't. If you'll read, you'll see the phrase "as objective as possible from a singular viewpoint." Apart from stating something useless but factual like "the image is 600 pixels wide by 400 pixels tall," every comment would have some degree of subjectivity behind it.

"I don't like this picture" is unacceptable mainly because it is an empty statement, not just personal subjectivity. I've seen it done before, and it is a close cousin to the equally worthless "This is a nice picture." My comments regarding shoving personal biases aside had more to do with resisting the temptation to evaluate an image because of the subject matter as opposed to the presentation of it.

As for "seasoned pros arguing about such things," well... 1) that's what seasoned pros do. 2) discussion, whether heated or otherwise, is the only method for those involved to achieve enlightenment. 3) "Arguing," like "Criticism," is a good thing (just a word that has acquired negative connotations in our society), and presents issues which need to be resolved; the subsequent resolution(s) are then the fuel for learning, faster problem-solving, and innovation.

I hope this helps to clarify things somewhat.

Darin