Re: Photo Critique Guidelines (excerpt)

At 4:22 AM -0700 10/31/07, herschel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Just to play devil's advocate (As is my wont)

I find it interesting that:

 "I don't like this picture" is unacceptable as it is personal subjectivity

But "There's too little depth of field" is fine because it's hiding behind a technical term.

Surely that's also a personal opinion?

Isn't "There's a little too much space to the right" subjective?

I've heard seasoned pros arguing over such things.

Isn't ALL criticism just personal opinion?

Herschel

Thanks, Herschel. Yes all critiqueing is personal. Sure, having a firm grip on the possibilities of the technical characteristics of whatever you're critiqueing is important. But in no way is it related to quality.

However, it is convenient to be able to talk about those technical characteristics.

In my opinion there are very few technical matters which relate to quality, since they all can be deliberately applied. An over-sharpened image can be a study in texture, a cut-off top of the head can be an expression of opinion about the importance of the person to the creator or the other objects in the image. Any arrangment of the subject can be an effort to unsettle the viewer or say something about the importance of the subject. It is more important, to me, to choose what one wants in focus than to let the camera accidentally do it, but there is no implication of better or less good in the choice.

The core question is "what are you trying to say here?". Then the next question is "did I, as a single viewer, hear what you were trying to say?" After that comes a consideration of whether most viewers heard it, followed by considerations of how it might be better said if most did not hear it.

One must be very careful not to grasp too quickly upon the easy things - like the technical - in order to create something to say.

And as we more and more depend on very low quality reproduction - a 4x6 jpeg for instance - we confront more and more how difficult it is to even know what we're looking at technically.

Are the leaves out of focus, or is the image insufficiently sharpened?
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx